Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

20/12/2021

How dough you do it?!

Idly, a few nights ago, I came across a rather beautifully (probably professionally) gingerbread 'wreath' covered in iced gingerbread stars. I gazed upon this gloriously made confectionery and thought ... I want to try that!

So quick as a I could, I purchased some star cookie cutters and informed my co-conspirators (although at that point they did not know this is what they had become) and after a bit more research into recipes, I found the ones I wanted. One which produced a gentle hint of ginger in a golden biscuit and a second richly spiced punchy one in a dark dough.

The ingredients purchased, the dough made and chilled in the fridge overnight,  the cutters washed and ready - all that was needed was my co-conspirators to land with their icing kits and cookie cutters and their best icing ideas!


This afternoon we started. There was lots of rolling of dough, cutting and cooking in shifts, cooling and stacking until we were ready to mix the icing and blend the colours.

Some of the biscuits had windows cut into them and boiled sweets were crushed and added to make stained glass window panes.
We had tree and star shaped windows and the bubbles and dimples made the 'glass' look soooo good!
We all sat around the diningroom table and with mugs of tea and icing bags loaded and ready, we began to decorate the stars and festive tree shapes. The early decorations were stars and snowflakes but as the afternoon wore on slightly more wacky decorations began to appear  ..... headphones, Sydney Opera House, the cat and the dog, squid, Santa, flowers, and other strange designs!
We chose to make the colours wintery and frosty and had great fun adding (one drop at a time) the blue or the black to the lavender or three drops of blue to the white until we had the shades we were after.

Eventually Eldest's girlfriend was defeated and I had to go into the kitchen to start cooking the evening meal, leaving Youngest and his girlfriend to complete the icing and eventually all 130 (ish) biscuits were decorated and ready for their photographs! I say 130 - ish, we did not count them at the beginning, so we did a tot up of what we had 'sampled' as the afternoon went on and added them to the survivors on the table.
Then in the evening, after we'd eaten and washed up - we sat around the diningroom table again and played a boardgame and ate biscuits ... lots of biscuits... !
I think we may have started a new tradition although next time, I will probably make less dough - chuckle.












18 comments:

  1. They look fabulous! And they must have taken ages to ice. I expect they didn't take long to eat, however. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are litle works of art, I love them! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! They are wonderful, such a lot of biscuits but you must have had such fun decorating them. A great tradition you have started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! we agreed that it would be something to repeat - but definitely in smaller quantities - it is not so much the time spent eating but the time spent decorating hahah

      Delete
  4. Having a cookie decorating party..that's a lovely idea!
    I didn't put a sweetie window in mine..that looks fun!
    I have adapted one recipe to make it vegan...it didn't have eggs in anyway.
    I wonder if it could be made with Buckwheat flour..time to experiment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely time to experiment! It was fun and it kept five of us entertained for several hours!

      Delete
  5. What fun you all had. I don't expect there were many biscuits left over. Hope Himself had a few to sample... I'd forgotten how to make the stained glass ones. They did look so arty, almost too good to eat... ha ha. Keep having fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite everyone's best endeavours - we do still have two tins left but they will be grazed on over the next couple of days I am sure!

      Delete
  6. They all look fabulous .. I kept scrolling waiting to see your wreath but that would have been a waste of good biscuits I guess 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.... slight technical hitch ... I forgot to make the circle of biscuit for the stars to sit on, then we just ate them ... oops!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, thank you Carol - you asked the question I was thinking!

    Were they as yummy as they looked?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so cute. A lovely new tradition 💖

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like lots of work, but also sounds like you had a really good time creating. I'm not a baker, but do enjoy others goodies. My talents just don't go that direction. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Got you added to my blog list to make visiting back and forth easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How amazing! They look delicious and I do like the variety of designs! Super creative! Shame to eat...says I LOL! Have a great Christmas! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I could dough it too, if I put my mind to it??? (I don't think I could :0 ) Absolutely amazing looking biscuits Kate! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.