Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

19/02/2022

Snow

Thank you for your lovely comments for the sneak preview of the spring inspired arrangement I'd started on Friday morning, a little later the mum of the bride, a new volunteer and I, plus mugs of coffee, sat down with tiny bits of foliage and snowdrops to create the prettiest possible arrangements for each table. 
I showed the ladies how to assemble the mini displays using catkin branch 'nests' I'd made a day or two ago, tucking in ivy fronds, pussy willow and snowdrops then using moss to finish off the look. It was a rather enjoyable couple of hours and it seems that they loved doing it too. I have been promised photos of the event with the arrangements in place.


As the afternoon progressed, the stormy weather turned a little more wild so we decided that it would be better if we left work before it became too difficult to drive on the motorway.  I, along with every other driver on the road, bumped and bounced our way home as the winds gusted across the lanes. Happily I got home safely and curled up with a mug of tea and a dilly dog in front of the fire and listened to the storm railing around the house.

Saturday (today) was strangely calm with clear skies despite dire warnings by the weather forecasters of snow and heavy rain. So, once at work, with one eye on the sky I tackled a few jobs with my young volunteer. (He is always up for an interesting debate or discussion and our conversations can range from politics to ancestry, hair colour to flesh eating bacteria - told you they were varied!!)

Suddenly it darkened and in moments we went from dull winter's colours to completely monochrome as masses of huge sloppy flakes fell. It was very pretty and for quite some time the snow did not stick and none of us at work were concerned. Then we noticed that a substantial layer of snow had gathered and the flakes were now small and hard - the air had chilled and the snow was here to stay. So once again, after making sure all our volunteers and visitors had gone home, we closed early and left. 

This trip was a bit daunting as the motorway was covered in snow and most of the drivers were crawling carefully - except for those who weren't and tore down the other lanes flat out... their choice. But, like yesterday, I got home and now am curled up with a tea (well it's my third seeing you asked...) in front of the fire.

Storm Eunice - although some places in the uk really suffered, here locally we were more 'inconvenienced' than in danger - I do feel for those who unfortunately lost power or had trees fall damaging their property and hope that they are safe and warm.  We have been very lucky.



13 comments:

  1. Your table decorations are so lovely, thank you so much for sharing the photos. I do hope the storms did not effect the wedding too much. Your snowy photo is lovely. Glad to hear that you were not effected too badly by the storms, a cup of tea by the fire is just the thing on a blustery winter day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The event went really well apparently and the storms did not cause too many problems thankfully :)

      Delete
  2. The arrangements are glorious & it's still something I love doing when I have the inclination. So glad you are OK & drove home carefully & arrived safely. I remember living in Batlow in the mountains of N.S.W. & having to drive in the snow each winter & it can be quite scary. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I suppose coz I grew up in Africa, I never got to drive in snow til I landed in the uk and snow is still a rarity, so I don't really get a lot of practice (thank goodness)

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen snow for years - what a beautiful sight! (but scary to drive in) Oh, your table top arrangements are just gorgeous. So pretty with those little snowdrops and catkins. Good to hear you have a fine young volunteer to have a good ol' natter with. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'd hoped they would not look too 'simple' apparently they went down well so that is ok!

      Delete
  4. What lovely table decorations. So pretty.

    Glad you got home safely both times - winter weather is not to be ignored, especially as you have motorway driving to contend with as well.

    It threw down some hail here, but 20 miles further north had a bit more of a snowy effort chucking it down.

    Another storm to contend with tomorrow. Getting fed up with them now! Fortunately the last time weren't too bad where we are though I am glad to have moved from Carmarthenshire, who had it worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      We've had 'full on' weather here today - really heavy rain and wind with sporadic but quite vicious hail storms and as you say another one tomorrow *yay* not...!

      Delete
  5. Yes, the snow was interesting yesterday but I was at home and did not have to go out. Today it is the day for rain and rain and rain. River up and down like a yo-yo. Now the wind is rising! How about a week or two of non-stop sunshine? I could easily cope with 'a drought' as I've had enough rain to last me months! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my walking has dropped down to shuffling from the kitchen to put the kettle on and back to the lounge by the fire to drink it!!
      I need sunshine and I need it NOW!😁

      Delete
  6. Your table arrangements are beautiful and so is your snow picture. I'm glad the storm hasn't affected you badly, though the motorway in snow sounds terrifying! We just have wind and wind and rain and rain! We lost power for a few hours but during daylight and had no damage so Eunice was not so bad for us as many previous storms. I can't believe we have Franklin now! It sounds horrific but, hopefully, it's just loud. I hope we will all wake up to nicer weather in the morning! Stay warm and keep safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those arrangements are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those arrangements are absolutely gorgeous!
    We only had sleet here, no snow. I keep hearing it forecast but I'm hoping it'll pass us by! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.