Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

06/08/2022

Steampunk and vintage


A chance reminder that there was a steampunk and vintage car event this weekend had us making spontaneous plans for a micro-adventure!

And I am so glad we did 😊 Himself, Moss and I jumped into our 2CV and headed over the moors to Hebden Bridge.

There were not as many steampunk dressed folk as there have been in the past which was a shame however those who'd made the effort looked impressive.
The 400 Roses (Quilt Person) folk dancers and musicians delighted visitors in the market square and I loved their costumes - particularly the ribbon and bell festooned bustles!
We wandered through the market but although the stalls were varied and interesting - it appeared that business was slow - people were looking but not spending.  A sad reflection of the times. We were enticed by the rather deliciously inviting fragrance of Asian street food and once we'd chosen, we sat in the park and scoffed to our hearts content. There may have been a lot of finger licking and lip smacking noises. 
We then crossed over the canal on to the sports fields which, for the weekend, had been turned to a HUGE car park of over 300 vintage cars, stalls and music festival. Himself was almost overwhelmed by all the 'car candy' and we spent a very happy afternoon checking almost each...and...every....car. He was most definitely a happy man😊
We knew that Hebden Bridge would be parked up so we found a spot just outside (see photo on the left) of the town and walked down what felt like a gazillion very steep steps (ooh my creaky knees!) the second zoomed in photo (on the right) is the view over the far half of the vintage car field taken from where we'd parked.
Moss thought today was a 'RUBBISH' dog walking sort of day, we shall have to make it up to her and soonπŸΎπŸ˜„We left once we agreed that it was getting a bit too busy for comfort - even for an outdoor event - it began to feel a little claustrophobic. How we've changed .........

We returned back over the moors and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening in the garden with buckets of tea - bliss.  xxxxx

19 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun event. I love old cars...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and we love vintage cars too :)

      Delete
  2. What a splendid amount of eye candy for you to enjoy, even if it was not exactly to Moss's liking 🐾 πŸ’š.

    Sadly, in current conditions it is no surprise that more people were looking than buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moss is a 'walk until you drop' kind of girl, not a move-from-one-car-to-the-next-and-stop for what felt like aaaaaaaaaaaages!!

      Delete
  3. Definitely a good day out(if not for Moss!)
    It looks great fun, if busy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it started off manageable but as the day progressed it did fill up - fortunately we'd seen what we wanted to see and were happy to leave

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I've no idea if my 400 Roses friend was there; hard to spot from the back.... looks like it was a great trip out. I'd like to go but it would be too far to park and walk in! But your photos mean 'I have been there'. Thanks. Hope Moss has a better day today..... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not see 'your' waistcoat' but I will send you another image I took so you can see if your friend was there. Parking was at a premium nearer the centre, but it was a bit of a walk to the park and my left knee (my GOOD one) is not a happy knee today :(

      Delete
  5. I didn't realise steampunk dress was a thing :0 ;) Funny that Moss didn't appreciate the car candy - now if it had been a mud and stick festival, things may have been different! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is a big thing up here in the norf! regular meets at Scarborough, Whitby and Hebden Bridge with usually hundreds of participants but as I mentioned, there certainly was not the usual amount of folk releasing their inner steampunk. Moss totally agrees with a mud and stick festival!

      Delete
  6. It looks like a great event. We have one called the Floral Fringe near us which is a very similar sort of thing. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when the 400 Roses were dancing - there was a bloke next to us spouting on about political correctness gone mad and it was ridiculous that the 'Morris men' were dressed as women! I had to have a look to see if he was joking - I don't think he was!

      Delete
  7. I have been to this and remember seeing the 400 Roses dancers in the square. They were so good. Haven't been over to HB for a while though. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks brilliant! I've a few friends who live in Hebden Bridge and I was scanning the crowds to try and spot them. I'm a sucker for a vintage car and there's a few beauties there!
    I remember seeing old Glastonbury footage on the Tv at the height of the pandemic and thinking I'd never be able to cope in a crowd now but as soon as the festivals kicked off again I was back in the mosh pits.
    I hope Moss gets an outing she enjoys very soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when we manage to get to spend time at a local village/town event. It is a lovely way to spend an afternoon ... though I get why it perhaps isn't Moss' favourite passtime :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Kate & we'd definitely have enjoyed it except for the crowds. The cars look stunning & those skirts on the dancers are amazing. Poor Moss, being dragged around with no water in sight (except for the distant canal) & all those people.......thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I nearly went (I write steampunk) and I would have been able to bump into you! Not only that, I may have possibly had the privilege of a cuddle with Moss. Was it very busy?

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.