Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

17/08/2022

the last hurrah

How could we finish our holiday romance❤️ with the Lake District now that we were home? 

By having a brief fling with our village agricultural show - that's how!

We knew it was going to be warm, so we took iced water for Moss, hats and umbrellas (for shade) for us and walked up to the recreation grounds now transformed to house pens of sheep and cattle, vintage vehicles and tractors, marquees full of arts and crafts, vegetable and flowers, horses and stunt motorcycles.

We sampled locally made ice cream (which was glorious) and drank very welcome chilly drinks, moved from shade to shade to make sure that we and Moss did not melt. A number of the stalls had bowls of water for visiting dogs and Moss of course graciously gave a token lick (as she was happily kept well watered with her own bowl and iced water).

Due to the heat a number of the animal entries wisely did not come, which I totally agree with as did most people although there were a small minority complaining that they came to see the 'pets' and 'funny chickens' and there was nothing to see!!

We did the show in two halves, we came back home for lunch and to leave Moss in the cooler house for an afternoon nap and then went back up for the rest of the show and the grand parade of vintage vehicles.


It was definitely a good way to end our holiday week and set us up for the working week. Now to plan for our next adventure!! 



14 comments:

  1. A lovely way to spend the day at your local show. Ours hasn't happened now for 3 years running & is sorely missed by most who have lived in the area for a long time. I know a lot of the new residents who are moving in, (in droves from Melbourne) don't seem to care as they spend leisure time doing other things. Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our show had been cancelled for about three years too, two during the lockdown/pandemic years and the previous one due to heavy rain leading up to the day. It was back with vengeance this year and there lots of first time visitors who'd never been to a village show before and the numbers were very high.

      Delete
  2. Great fun! And even better for being local

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun and just a quick walk away from home too :)

      Delete
  3. I love village shows - something so timeless and comforting about them
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too - lovely to see the pride and the tradition from the villagers

      Delete
  4. It's so important to have adventures isn't it! Something to look back on fondly or something to look forwards to. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - part of the fun of the adventure is the 'doing it' but the best of it is the remembering and sharing the stories that came with them :D

      Delete
  5. Work?...with all this gadding about you'll be far too tired to go back to work next week! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having just dragged myself through a week of work - I have to agree! I went to work for a rest haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a nice time, despite the heat. Too bad that kept some people and animals away; but best to be smart about things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to a show like that since I was a child, you reminded me of all the simple things in life that bring a rural community together, it's a lifestyle I long for :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely pulls the village together - something that we are all rather proud of x

      Delete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.