Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

25/04/2013

Wild life and witch craft

We don't live that far from Pendle Hill - famous for all sorts of witchy happenings and spooky things.

A couple of weekends ago we walked up a sister hill to Pendle which has been peppered with sculptures. Aitkin Wood clings to the side of the hill with a winding pathway meandering through the trees, here huge spiders and flying bats lurk above head height.

A witch hunter, carved from a single piece of wood, stares solemnly out from the undergrowth. In his wooden grasp he holds the deeds to hunt down Alice Nutter. Down the valley a chained sculpture of an incarcerated Alice walks to her doom.


Further down the hill swarms of bats and a huge spider web catches the sunlight.
 





I loved this gateway -  the roots  jammed in the circular frame seemed tortured as they tried to stretch free.

 A tall totem of pot 'stones' with it's spirals and glazed circles stood quietly in a glade -
 inviting touch and investigation 


 Trees - already felled had taken on a new life - with sinuous snake like forms.  


Magic still lingers in this area.....................






5 comments:

  1. What wonderful sculptures! Love the snakes and bats and, well all of it! Another on my place-to-visit list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely carvings but eerie at the same time. Your photographs seem to capture the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the gateway too, but they're all really interesting. What an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant, I want to go there. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun little place, and stunningly beautiful ideas too, but I wonder who created it and who maintains it all??

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you,

Hawthorn x
Sadly anyone signing anonymous will not be published