Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

17/07/2018

Part 2 ...

It was like watching a methodical yet lightly stepped dance.
The two of them, time served, moved as a fluid, anticipating the other's action with years of remembered performance.
A gentle monologue was proffered explaining each step - enough to inform and not swamp.
Words like molten honey and liquid toffee were dropped in - so deliciously descriptive of the tempered glass bubble.
A controlled puff, a measured swing of the blowpipe, a turn of the wrist and a gentle tap or click all making a glowing blob into a simple yet magnificent glass goblet.
The tools they used had barely changed since glass blowing started 2000 years ago, water soaked Paddles, Jacks, Blocks, Ladles, metal Tweezers and Shears, they all retained a look which appeared timeless.
Then, less than ten minutes - this dance produced a glass goblet which was both robust and delicate.
It was sent to cool down in an oven set to 400 deg c over night. It was mesmerising!
Beautiful.

13 comments:

  1. Really stunning, such a beautiful glass. Have to wonder how many you brought home with you!

    Years ago there was a glass blower in Ambleside, it's now a bike shop and/or cafe. I remember the incredible heat as we watched from behind a barrier set very far back. And yes, we had a lovely collection of wine glasses :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None left with me! Although worth every penny - a bit out of my budget but I did leave with a very pretty twisted paperweight for my Sister in law's birthday in her favourite colours x

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful experience for you and such a pretty goblet with that hint of pink in the stem. Glass blowing is fascinating! Have we any more instalments? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue - yes loads more happened but it isn't really blog-worthy - just thought I would share the really pretty stuff :D

      Delete
  3. There's nothing like a wonderful experience shared with a friend. Have had one of those myself today.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great fun to watch isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get chance to have a go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - did even fancy trying - was quite happy to watch and admire but never felt that 'I want to have a go' type feelings!

      Delete
  6. How lovely. was also wondering if you had a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - quite happy to appreciate and to watch craftsmen at work.

      Delete
  7. Yes, it is indeed mesmerising. Years ago we were on holiday in Guernsey and went to see a glassblowing place. Very warm! I love watching anything being made. I bet even water would taste better drunk out of that goblet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always amazed at folks that blow glass. I love to watch it being done. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.