Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

03/04/2022

In at the deep end

 Go on, I said, let me fix it for you ... I really would love to. You'll be doing me a favour - I need my hands to be busy and I love doing that sort of thing....

It took a couple of weeks of gentle (ok persistent but gentle) persuasion to be able to prise this jersey (well you lot would call it a cardi but a jersey is a jumper is a cardi to me!) and bring it home. It is a well loved lamb's wool super soft favourite of a dear friend of mine and I'd seen that she'd already made a couple of repairs and that another hole had begun to appear.

I brought it home and started to un-pick the stitches so that I could see what I was working with and soon found that there were many mini repairs all over the body of the jersey. It was like doing textile forensics with the differing coloured thread revealing many layers of repairs to this beloved item of clothing.

Every time I turned the garment over, I found another mend or another hole. So, I decided to start with the smallest wounds and work my way up the the major one on the left under arm.

I kept going, building up my courage and practising different techniques - good old fashioned darning, Swiss darning, boro-esque stitching, patchwork, applique, freeform, pseudo-Dorset buttons and 'wing-it'.

Each evening, after we'd eaten, I'd switch on my anglepoise lamp and stitch another hole closed, avoiding looking at the large one on the arm until apart from a worn thin area that I was going to weave over, I had no choice but to tackle the arm. In the end I took the scissors to it and just cut away all the threads and wool then picked up each tiny stitch and sewed them to prevent any more unravelling.
It was then a matter of finding a soft but strong fabric to patch from the inside and applique stars and tiny stitches to strengthen the knitting. Strangely enough, once I'd got over my reluctance to repair this particular gaping hole - it turned out to be my favourite mend.
This afternoon, after three weeks, I completed the final mend - the woven section on the left front, took the photographs and folded up the jersey. Both relieved and bereft it was now completed. It can return home tomorrow. I shall miss it's company!


This was an act of rebellion against the tide of the throw-away-society as well as an act of kindness to a friend who does so much - thank you x



32 comments:

  1. Astonishingly well done, fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful caring work for jumper and friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome mending Kate & no-one could wish for better friend. I'm realising over time, what a multi-talented girl you are. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan although I am more of a 'jack of all trades and master of none' type person haha

      Delete
  4. Today I mended two pairs of pants that had frayed hems. I just covered them with seam binding. I didn't do anything as fancy as your mending! Your work is lovely. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one with the mended hems - not all my mends are as visible, not everyone is confident enough to wear obvious stitches, this particular friend is as quirky as they come so I felt happy creating this as colourful as I did :)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely beautiful - what a characterful and charm-filled garment <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) it sort of just developed it's own character :)

      Delete
  6. What a perfect project - absorbing, creative, useful and loving. Something to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done you. Definitely a labour of love 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, and yes - it definitely was!

      Delete
  8. It makes us rethink and evaluate our throw away attitudes. Beautiful and loving work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Hello again and yes me too - I gave to her this afternoon and the first thing she did was put it on and stroke it - I think she missed it!

      Delete
  10. And say see you in another 10 years wooly pulley! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah - love it, but suspect I will see it sooner - it is very much a working jersey and probably will need a few more mends before the year is out :)

      Delete
  11. I can't tell you how much I love this. I am always mending things, but nowhere near as beautifully. It's a gorgeous colour and the additions are great. Nice job! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Mending is not just good for the item but good for the soul :)

      Delete
  12. What a transformation and labour of love. I think I would have thought it was too far gone! As usual clever you! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've done such a great job, Kate. It's beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing. I would not even attempt. Afraid it would have ended up in the rag bag. WEll done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! you are brave but its wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.