Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

02/03/2023

Happy

 March 1st is (meteorologically speaking) the first day of spring and, I must admit, as I shuffled about early doors this morning to let the dog out, despite the chill in the air, I think I could smell spring. Please let the next dose of winter be a brief one....

Walking this afternoon was gentle and a repeat of one we have done over the years - 'the dog loop'. In my last post I'd mentioned that although we'd enjoyed some cracking walks, I felt that it would just be a 'rinse and repeat' story and would be boring. But then I read somewhere that not every walk has to be an adventure or have jeopardy or lashings of humour to make it worth sharing. Sometimes the benign repetition of the act of walking in itself brings a gentle satisfaction and makes me notice the 'less noticed'.

This 'dog loop' has three versions, the concise gallop that fills the brief and fits in with the weather, then the slightly longer one, which involves stiles and gates and fields with space to run and chase (if you are a dog) and views to drink in. Finally the longer version which mean an afternoon has to be set aside and a tea filled flask taken along (with the obligatory accompanying biscuits of course).
Years of walking these 'loops' had made them 'invisible' and the sometimes felt almost like a chore. We dragged small boys, then slightly taller boys then all grown up with girlfriends boys along these paths. With repetition came boredom. So our walks took on new distant routes - further away and 'more exciting'.
Then covid happened and the 'exercise from home for no more than one hour and keep away from everyone' rule. These once little local routes became oh so precious and we walked them as often as we could. We re-learnt their quirks and fell in love with them again...and again...and again. 
Moss - along with probably half the village dogs and others who'd travelled (although not supposed to) re-found new places to sniff and scent and pass on 'peemails' to each other. Suddenly the stone walls had shapes and colours we'd previously just walked passed and just not noticed. Trees were appreciated, hedges and hedgerow flowers discussed, the sky and clouds admired. Our relief at being outside felt priceless.
Any hoo, walking the route this afternoon reminded me of how lucky we were/are that we can 'fall out of our backdoor' and be on a footpath in less that five minutes and in the landscape with a few steps more. 

And it made me happy. 

So, no - nothing dramatic happened, no funny stories, no being chased by cows or menaced by horses. No tea break, no biscuits and no rain.... just simple one foot in front of the other, chilly air and warm hats, a dilly dog and good company - what more could I ask for?


15 comments:

  1. Just good to be out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was, really needed to breathe that air albeit a bit chilly!

      Delete
  2. I can so relate to the above post, though not with the beautiful countryside anymore as our country town is more like suburbia these days with new estates popping up everywhere, but we still quite often do the local walking of our neighbourhood, which was what we did in Covid too. Yesterday we took time to go to the coast & walk along a beach & although just into autumn, it was quite chilly. Thanks Kate for this post, take care & big hugs from down under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for getting out and doing a coastal walk - something I am missing but will get round to it some time :) x

      Delete
  3. You have stunning landscape on your doorstep. Post covid I really do appreciate what we've got here locally so much more now. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky, although we did become blasé about it until the lockdown then we realised what we had and like you appreciate it so much more x

      Delete
  4. WintersEndRambler2 March 2023 at 20:48

    Quite possibly the best kind of ramble then. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the simplest walk can turn out to be one of the best. I like the photo of the sheep against the grey sky but I have to ask - what was Moss doing in the last shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moss was in a stone trough. Just standing and admiring the view! Youngest was taking photos of her coz she looked so silly! I snapped a quick phone photo of them both :D

      Delete
  6. What a great loop that looks like. I love the adventures you could see and ba a part of..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it looks like a lovely walk. A familiar walk lets the mind ramble and clear. I do hope you got that cup of tea back home though! ;)

    I can thank my dad for my love of walking. He'd get me out every Sunday - always the same walk around the river. I suspect my mam wanted some quiet time at home. Undoubtedly older bro was down t' pub. I do miss that walk x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds (and looks) pretty perfect to me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect! I recognised some of those places on your dog loop walks! Makes your posts all the more interesting as I can smile and recall going through the wonky gate or up the steep big stone that forms part of the path. It's lovely to get out! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like it was a special walk, even though familiar you can find things you missed on other occasions. Love Dilly Dog in stone trough. She does not seem to feel the cold. Idiot!! 🐾🦴❤️

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.