Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

07/03/2022

Shadows

When I wrote my previous post - I felt a little numb - it felt rather frivolous wittering on what was occurring in my day when there is dreadful aggressive self-aggrandisement by a dangerous man against normal everyday folk who are suffering at his immoral hand. 
On Saturday, whilst at work, I was invited to walk around a local nature reserve which we are affiliated to, and as I felt my head was full and needed clearing, I accepted. Due to time constraints we yomped at a very quick pace, up and around and back in just under an hour and a half - nearly five miles later the fog in my head although still there seemed less oppressive.
On Sunday once we'd completed a few home chores Himself laid out a local walk we could do after lunch.
 He knows that I love this particular route, one that includes a short drover's track that we affectionately call 'Hare Lane'. It is not guaranteed to spot hares however we have seen them there often enough for the track to be awarded such a name. As we walked through 'Long Lamb Field' we decided that we would like to see not only hares but lapwing and curlew. 
Despite the chilly breeze, the gentle spring sunshine was so warming, so hopeful. We traversed up and over our boggy hill ridge into the next valley surrounded by the plaintive trill of first a single curlew then a couple and finally small drifts of birds. They flew on large curved wings following the line of moorland grasses, landing and whistling then setting off again.
We stopped and gazed at the valley view and I noticed our shadow, us two and a dilly dog.  It confirmed to me that we are so lucky - we are not anything special or amazing, but we are who we are and we do what we can do - we have donated, we certainly care and am sending positive love and light to those who need, thank you Vix and thank you ALL who commented and confirmed that you too feel the same and do care. I thought of you all, thought of Ukraine as we listened to the melodic trilling of lapwing, freshly returned from their coastal overwintering. 
It made me realise that life does go on, the weather has improved, summer birds are returning and spring bulbs are hosting hungry bees.
We turned for home, the air was cooling despite the sunlight. Moss had thrown herself into every mud puddle she could and was sporting a thick layer of dark mud and a silly grin on her face.
Again a walk helped release the fog in my head, it is still there but a lot more orderly. Thank you again for your comments - they certainly helped too - here is to hope and positive mindset and love xx

 And yes - we saw a hare. A large male who bolted from beneath an ancient hawthorn - then stopped. He sat up, ears tall and watched us for a moment as we stood still and held our breath. Then in a blink of an eye - he vanished into the moorland grasses.



25 comments:

  1. What a joy to read this post, Kate. With so much horror and sadness in the news isn't it wonderful to find such positivity, kindness and love in Blogland? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix - it has been touching how much kindness there is out in Blogland x

      Delete
  2. Oh I love your pics! Esp that rock wall. Beautiful. Being a photographer I can see a photo shoot on those rocks. And the spring blooms. We are getting a few blooming trees here in Nashville TN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, we are surrounded by old stone walls in various states of decay - yet they are still being used as field boundaries. Definitely full of character and history.

      Delete
  3. Curlews and a hare...and a muddy dog! A good day despite all the horror going on (((0)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very muddy dog - usually a marker to the success of a walk - the higher the muddy mark the better the walk .... so says the dog 🙄😁

      Delete
  4. Hugs. This is a beautiful post. Take care of yourself and please pass on scritches to Moss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and scritches happily received x

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your positive post & photos. It is much appreciated seeing the gentle rolling countryside & friends doing their thoughtful rambling. Enjoy Spring, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, spring is very welcome after such a dreary and slow winter x

      Delete
  6. Moss does look like he had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moss seems to find pleasure (and mud) with every walk - she sees such joy in life - a good lesson to us all x

      Delete
  7. We need these moments to keep us same definitely. Just goes to show how very fortunate we are to live where we do. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree Sharon - we are very fortunate indeed x

      Delete
  8. Keeping calm and carrying on, is the best form of resistance to wickedness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindness can be seen as a weakness, but the world really needs kindness as part of that resistance to the wickedness
      xx

      Delete
  9. A very moving read. I know that feeling of deep sadness and helplessness at what is going on at the moment. On a more cheerful note I love the row of blue bottoms and as for dilly dog....what can I say?? Love your new banner. Very clever. 🧡🦴 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are all feeling helpless at the moment and so it’s good to appreciate what we have and lift each other while doing what little we can for those afar xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree xx it is the feeling of helplessness that I find hard.

      Delete
  11. Can't do much about 'the situation' but one has to appreciate the moment and find happiness and luck at every opportunity. I caught a glimpse of a curlew a few days ago; your curlew photo is fab. I did hear a curlew about a month ago and it is wonderful to know they are back. Muddy Moss is happy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I nearly missed taking the picture of the curlew, I saw it at a distance and just snapped and hoped I'd captured it, rather pleased when I saw I had. I love the sound of their cry - means the weather is getting better too

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed the walk and it helped to clear your head a little. Moss certainly looks like she enjoyed it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eunice, walking does amazing things for my headspace and yes that muddy idiot had a lovely walk too!

      Delete
  13. Hello Kate, I have been feeling the same: helpless, lucky, horrified, trivial. Vix is right, Blogland is very supportive and full of love. Lulu xXx

    p.s. A muddy Moss is always guaranteed to bring a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.