Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

09/03/2022

Stitching

 I have a shirt. 

A favourite shirt which I will reach for first nearly every time, it is a perfect partner to jeans and boots. It was a teenage cast-off from one of my boys and I suspect I have loved and lived in it for about nine or ten years. 

Suddenly it started to wear thin - first it was an elbow, so I trimmed the chest pocket and stitched the patch with the teeniest tiny stitches. I was rather pleased how I managed to colour and stripe match making the repair virtually invisible.

Then about six months later, my cuffs and the narrow placket down the front showed signs of wear. So this time I stitched a floral fabric along the wear marks and absolutely loved the contrast of the materials.


Then, last weekend after I'd worked on the Saturday, I changed out of my work duds and of course reached for my jeans, boots and fav shirt. I was horrified to see a huge tear on the back - the fabric has just worn thin with use and love. So reluctantly I had to put on my second favourite shirt (which is so not favourite at all in comparison!) However, the thought of adding patches of love and stitches rather excited me.
In a rather simplistic Boro mending style, I matched embroidery floss to both fabrics and quietly stitched rays of  sympathetic colour. I wanted to reinforce the material of the shirt as well as embellish the patch.
Feeling rather happy with my mending, I shook out the shirt to inspect and found that the other elbow was looking a little thin .... well that meant a bit more mending didn't it...?!
This time I tried a more 'organised' pattern and with a nod to Sashiko mending this time I made long waves of colour. I may be a teeny bit in love with this patch...
Mending my shirt was important - not just the act of making a favourite shirt last a little longer, not just a rebellious act against fast fashion and the throw away society, not just a process of creativity - in a strange small way - I was not just mending my shirt, it was my way of symbolically mending what is happening. 

A form of self care too.





22 comments:

  1. Not just mending, creating too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I quite agree, also escaping as I can zone out when I am sewing x

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic! Pure art, like Tom of Holland.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - high praise indeed (Love Tom of Holland!) x

      Delete
  3. That is amazing and incredibly beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pattern the little stitches make. BUT one day you will end up with a complete patchwork shirt at the rate it is quietly wearing out!! 🧡🦴 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Boro boro mended jackets in Japan are several generations old due to mending - to the point that the original jacket no long exists but the patches are now the new cloth - I just love that process :D

      Delete
  5. I love those patches and the lovely patterns. I have to say, hand-quilting was always my favourite part of patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I can see why you like the hand quilting part of the patchwork x

      Delete
  6. The patches are lovely, though you certainly have more patience than me to do all that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eunice, I love the fact I can zone out and concentrate on stitching x

      Delete
  7. That is absolutely beautiful. I love visible mending, such a wonderful way to relax and to show the world that you don't care that your clothes have had a life! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I love visible mending too - almost a badge of honour of time well used x

      Delete
  8. Well done! I like the Sashiko one the best. I too have been doing a bit of slow sewing but it is very slow! No where near finished yet but it is fun. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you and me too :D been mending more things, mostly woollen this time - looking forward to seeing your slow sew! x

      Delete
  9. Although I loved seeing your artistic mending, your thoughts at bottom really did it for me. Must remember your clever way of mending as mine tends to be very plain & utilitarian. Thanks Kate, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, definitely try a different way of mending - would love to see your results :) x

      Delete
  10. So many metaphors, and beautiful mending.

    There is much comfort from an old friend such as a garment which has seen you through so much. I have a jacket which I do not wear often anymore, but in the day it walked hundreds of miles with both dogs, worked hundreds of hours in the garden, and holds so many memories . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayne, I knew you would understand about 'old friends' which hold so many memories xx

      Delete
  11. Beauty in the mending! I have a big bag of clothes I have been meaning to mend for some time, and you have inspired me to try some therapeutic patterned stitches xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 💗Please do - I would love to see your results xx

      Delete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.