Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

14/03/2022

Home

 I knew that this weekend was going to be an at home one, Youngest was home with a list of online applications to be submitted, dissertation to work on, gobbets to complete and a girlfriend away. The applications are for the next step after uni and the amount of work he had to do before he could even start was astounding. The closing date is today and he has completed this part, there is another set next week. So, I kept him fed and watered at regular intervals as Himself and I did a few chores around the house.

We worked in our garden, it took some effort I have to admit - I do gardening all week so my poor garden gets neglected somewhat. The chilly breeze did not help to be honest however by lunch time we'd weeded and tidied a couple of beds, cleared the glasshouse ready for salad, tomatoes and peppers and weeded and swept the path. Still plenty to do however a good start!

It was a bit chilly after lunch so I settled down with a mug of tea and started mending my coat. It is one that was gifted to me some years ago by my sister-in-law. She'd bought it in a charity shop soon after they'd come back from Africa and wore it a few times but never really bonded with it. So she offered to me and of course I gladly accepted! It felt stiff as a board the first time I wore it, so I chucked it in the washing machine on the wool cycle and hoped for the best! It came out so soft and snuggly and I loved it more! With years of wearing by me and probably as many again before I owned it, the coat - an Eres long double breasted tweed(ish) one, began to show signs of wear. The pocket fabric had perished in one and torn in the other and the cuffs and button hole edges had worn thin.

One pocket has had a soft (but strong) patch inserted over the wear to strengthen and repair and the other has had teeny tiny but visible 'Franken-stitching' in red thread. The cuffs were over sown with slate grey Ronaldsay Aran wool - a sympathetic colour rather than a camouflage mend.

I found the button holes the hardest to mend - they'll do, but I am not that happy with them. At least when I button up the coat it won't flap open again immediately, so that is a win 😁


My final bit of visible mending was to repair and strengthen holes in my favourite mittens. Part of a gift swap some years ago, I received these very pretty hand knit mittens and I used them regularly. Recently (I think I have had them about ten years) they, not surprisingly, have signs of their age and regular use. They had been relegated as work mitts, despite how delicate they look, they are surprisingly robust. So, a few bits of brightly coloured embroidery floss later - my mitts are back in business!

And just like that, the weekend has gone by. Lots done, yet nothing happened - keeping ourselves busy yet keeping ourselves quiet. 
I have scones to bake for Youngest to take back when he returns to uni so I'll stop here and get on. 
stay safe xxx

40 comments:

  1. Well done with the garden and your ever so quaint mending. Mine is way more utilitarian I'm afraid. Just enjoying watching The Repair Shop, all about "mending". Take care and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, we love 'The Repair Shop' too :)

      Delete
  2. I love what you do with your stitching and patching to give garments a longer life - it looks like a very satisfying activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - apart from the practical sense of repairing I love the artistic side of decorating/embellishing too!

      Delete
  3. It was our first venture in the garden too this weekend … the sunshine was lovely but yes that biting wind meant we weren’t out long … I’m looking forward to warmer temperatures that’s for sure 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the sun, sheltering from the breeze, was lovely but like you said - it was a biting wind. I am definitely looking forward to warmer days!

      Delete
  4. Your gloves are terrific, better with the mend even. Your son sounds like he's doing activities like my daughter. She's looking for internships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam - hope your daughter has not been as stressed out by it as my son was yesterday!

      Delete
  5. Your way of thinking about doing your own garden is the same as mine about cleaning - I do so much for other people I don't feel like doing my own! Your repaired mitts look lovely, I like the colour, but I couldn't wear anything like that - my fingers get cold really easily so they need to be covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough - I find my hands are warmer in fingerless mitts than in gloves when the weather is cool, obviously if it was really cold, then full coverage is better, but these autumn/spring/damp temperatures - happier in mitts :)

      Delete
  6. Mending is so satisfying - although I don't get much to do now I'm on my own and not working

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I find it mindful 'meditation' too (without trying to sound airy fairy) as I can zone out and not dwell on 'things'

      Delete
  7. I have mitts now promoted to gardening use...you put me to shame, I must mend them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckle 😁 you'll have to show the befores and afters (I keep forgetting to take the befores) x

      Delete
  8. More glorious mending - that coat looks fabulous and I absolutely love your pimped up beer mittens (so-called as they're essential wear at festivals for clutching your beer late at night!)
    I've just started on my Spring garden-tidying, it's looking better already! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! xx
      I must admit that despite the reluctance at this weekend's gardening/spring clearing - the garden does look better for it. :)

      Delete
  9. Well done...you have inspired me to hunt out a few mending jobs of my own. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou!
      I used to avoid mending when it was deemed necessary to make it invisible or as near perfect as possible, but now that I have decided that visible mending is the way - it is so much easier and a happier thing to do :)

      Delete
  10. I love seeing how you patch up your clothes. I crocheted a ragged color on one of my husband's favorite sweaters that had seen better days. He's so happy that he doesn't have to give it up to the trash bin! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to mend my husband's jumpers too - he has his favourites and he wears them until they drop off him, so a bit of mending and he is a happy man!

      Delete
  11. I love mending as it is so satisfying and relaxing. Well done on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. discovered your blog on a random search, you have some lovely ideas for decorating with nature. I like the visible mending :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) and welcome to my little corner of blogland x

      Delete
  13. That coat looks amazing. Utter respect to you being able to mend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love using it so mending it was a definite so I could continue doing so xx

      Delete
  14. That coat has definitely been a good charity shop find, in Brighton I seem to remember. Your mitts look really good with their decorative mending. You have quite a bit of colour in your garden now. My shrubs are starting to flower and crocus and snowdrops looking good too. I need to get down there and clear up on a day when it is not too slippery down in the lower garden. 🧡🦴xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered where she got it from - now I know :)
      Those spots of colour are few and far between! It is mainly green popping up through soil but that in itself makes it feel closer to spring !!

      Delete
  15. I am loving the visible mends Kate :) :) :) Very good of you to keep your youngest fed and watered and best of luck with his applications xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It was the easy part - keeping him fed and watered - I would really REALLY not like to have to do his application submission - it was awful!

      Delete
  16. Perhaps you will be starting a new trend, to inspire people to mend clothes rather than throw away when they get the slightest bit worn...I don't mend my clothes as they get worn away over the years and become impractical to mend as the worn area is so big, eg, those trousers gave way spectacularly the other day so they are done with. Only had them for about 11 years and worn them a lot. Just seeing bits of green in the garden = promise of colour. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a slow but growing movement of 'slow-sew' and 'mindful mending' and the lockdown really brought it to the general public - I hope I do inspire others to do the same, it is actually rather satisfying :)

      Delete
  17. I know exactly what you mean about avoiding mending when it was supposed to be invisible/as near perfect as possible. As a recovering perfectionist I find visible mending really liberating - and enjoy the creative aspect of the decorating/embellishing that goes into it too. I love what you've done with your jacket and gloves, and the shirt in the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you made me chuckle - 'a recovering perfectionist' brilliant!

      Delete
  18. Thanks to this post and your previous post about mending your favourite shirt I have had a look online about Boro mending and you have inspired me to try out Boro mending or rather as near to that as possible. I don't know if I will be able to do it as neat and tidy and also artistically as you but I am going to try :-). I have several items of clothing I don't wear but am reluctant to throw away maybe I will be able to wear them once again. Mindful mending...yes I like that idea. Thanks for sharing Kate . Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you've been very busy with the gardening and mending. I'm no good at mending, but enjoy gardening; though it's still too cold to think about any yard work. Things need to warm up a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.