Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

08/07/2022

Blogging whilst watching 'Glasto' on playback (as you do on a Friday evening)

An almost spontaneous visit to one of my favourite little towns happened yesterday afternoon and it was such a treat. I am not one who likes 'retail therapy' or loitering in towns but I will make an exception for Hebden Bridge.

I love the quirky independent nature it has within a very traditional mill-town setting. You can feel the history as you walk where hundreds of clogs, for years, clattered before you. The stone steps bearing the scars of the iron 'shoes' that scoured up and down daily.

I often wonder about the homes that no longer exist along the terracing as we walk down into the town. The back walls are barely visible between the weed trees and scrub but they are there and you can just about make out the floor plans. How many generations of families lived in these tiny dwellings and walked down in to the town to the mills for work?
As we approached, I spotted some new street art since my last visit - it was beautifully eye catching!
It was at this point I could hear music as buskers struck up a song, the tune unrecognisable as it drifted around the buildings. We crossed the bridge (of Hebden BRIDGE) over a very low river where children were damming the trickle of water into pools which the ducks seemed happy to share.
Although plenty of people about - it was not as busy as I have known it pre-pandemic times, so it never felt claustrophobic in any of the shops.
We popped into a few of our favourite haunts and visited new to me ones too - and all too soon it was time to walk back up all those stone steps to the car and go home.
For some reason Youngest sprinted ... yes sprinted ... up several flights - I did catch up - eventually....


On our return journey home - there was a bit of a traffic jam..... 

Our visit was successful, we got what we'd set out to buy but more than that - I actually enjoyed the act of 'going out' - thank you Youngest - your company was wonderful.



💛

Please can you spare a moment and send hugs and love to Fil of Fil's Songs and Stories who has recently lost her Mum xxxx  💛


19 comments:

  1. Not somewhere I have ever been, looks lovely - a "proper" town rather than an identikit high street with corporate shop fronts that could be anywhere in the country.
    I would have 'crashed & burned' at the shop with baskets and china outside 😙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely an independent little town, the only 'chain store' is the co-op - all the bigger stores are in the neighbouring towns. You would love the china shop!

      Delete
  2. I think I would have been hauling myself up the steps by the handrail!
    I like the look of the shop with baskets full of things outside too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The china and basket shop is definitely a place to visit - and breath in, the china is piled high EVERYWHERE! barely space to walk through - an absolute delight.

      Delete
  3. I too love Hebden Bridge & have wandered aimlessly about there & we had a coffee in a very nice old cafe. When we visited there was a canal boat, sign written for craft classes on board which I thought beautifully quirky. Thanks for bringing back memories, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hebden Bridge isn't somewhere I've been or ever wanted to go. I love that street art though, it's so colourful. And guess where I've been yesterday/today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct :) Parked a little way down the hill where the 30mph sign is, I was going to move up after everyone else had gone but decided it was okay where I was. Lovely quiet night, only me there until about 9.30 this morning, it was blowing a hooley yesterday but otherwise the weather was fantastic :)

      Delete
    2. It if is really bad (windy wise) and as long as it is either out of hours or on a weekend - you can shelter down against the building with the row of parking places (on left) just after the village hall (on right)

      Delete
    3. I did notice a car down there and wondered if it would be okay to stay there as an alternative but then there's no view :( The wind didn't really bother me that much, just meant I had to keep the van door closed when I was using the camping stove.

      Delete
  5. Ooh no, all those steps! I too like HB but have not been for a while. Years ago we did park at the top and walked down to town, down lots of steps. Parking in HB is horrendous so unless one is prepared to walk some distance....x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes! plenty steps and we only went half way - the rest of them were even more steep!

      Delete
  6. It looks lovely there. I've only ever driven through the town before, so maybe it's time for a proper visit. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a visit - lots a lovely independent shops to ruffle around in :)

      Delete
  7. The garage door looks stunning. Been a while since I have been to HB, I don't think I could sprint up those steps. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for the trudging up the steps method haha - don't know how he does it

      Delete
  8. Hebden Bridge looks beautiful. I have a feeling I went to a boozy brass band concert there many years ago. Younguns are just mad sometimes aren't they - stairs... sprinting !!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe you - it is the perfect venue for boozy brass bands and other genre of music :D

      Delete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.