Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

19/07/2022

Meanderings of the muddy kind

It has been a busy few days recently, however today I started work really early to get the bulk of it done before it was too warm. I can deal with the heat quite well having lived in Africa til I was in my 20s but gardens in the uk can't. They sulk. 

So whilst the garden owner was swanning around in her fuchsia pink Japanese kaftan, matching toenails and flamingo mug of frothy coffee, I got stuck in and planted several trays of plants I'd placed last week but had not had time to settle in. She is lovely lady - mellowed as we have got to know each other. When I first worked for her she was quite the dragon (ex senior school head) and stood for no nonsense as she dictated where EXACTLY each plant was to go, what was to be pruned, what was to be moved/watered/etc and all the plants were spoken about in their full Latin names. After a few years I changed jobs (the boys were older and I could stop being freelance around their needs) and a fellow gardener took over.

Fast forward nearly a decade (jeez where does time go) and I now garden for this client again. The previous gardener was more than happy to give back the gig (in almost indecent haste) and I picked up where I'd left off.

A lot had happened to the both of us in those intervening years, her husband had died, my job had turned sour and I'd fallen in with the black dog and we both had changed. Now we get on really well, she is a pleasure to work for, makes a really good mug of tea and only buys the best biscuits (and her taste in nail varnish and earrings are top notch!)

Funnily enough that was not what I was going to post about, it sort of just happened, my fingers typed one story while my head was ready to tell another. So - lucky you - you'll get both!



Over the last weekend we celebrated the last of the 21st birthdays - Youngest's girlfriend reached that milestone and we all trouped over to her parent's town for fish and chips on the beach. It was super warm and extremely busy when we first arrived so we did a quick walk along the promenade culminating at a rather delicious ice cream vendor, we then returned on the shore which was a lot quieter and far cooler. And MUDDY...... !!🤎🐾

Mud = HaPpY DoG!

Back at the van I attempted to rub off as much as the silty mud as I could but her white fur was stained a rather niffy chocolate brown - hmmm. 

We, the boys, their girls, Miss Muddy Moss, Himself and I, walked through a small woodland to arrive at the house - the garden was lovely and cool compared to the promenade and much to Moss's horror, I asked to borrow the hosepipe and Himself and I rinsed her down as best we could.

The afternoon was a pleasant family affair with music, cake and presents, silly dogs and sillier stories.  

Then in the evening when it was finally cool enough to let the dogs run without expiring, we went back down on to the beach where both Moss and Oscar had great fun.

It felt good getting sand between the toes and shoes and sandals were quickly abandoned as we walked along the shore.


Watching a gentle sunset slip behind clouds was a lovely refreshing end to a warm and family filled day. It was time to go home...... 

Happy Birthday C!! Welcome to the over 21's club😁



17 comments:

  1. Clever Moss to dig that hole for herself..... sounds like you all had a great time. I can just about remember turning 21..... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Moss has ever dug a hole in her life!! No, this one was left over from previous beach visitors and was full of sea water, she was a bit hot from running so threw herself in to cool down! Caused much laughter with the other half of the family as they'd never seen her do that before

      Delete
  2. Ten years will change a soul, and I am glad you now have such a lovely relationship with your client.

    The mud that our pups can pick up on a beach has a special sort of adhesion as it seems to dry rock hard. Ollie was a terror for getting covered in it, Daisy had far more sense! Sorry Moss, but sometimes hosepipes are the only option. 🐾 💦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ten years can change a person.
      I agree about that beach silty mud - it does dry rock hard, makes their fur quite spikey! She was most put out having it rinsed off :D

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a great family day much enjoyed by everyone. I love the close-up of Moss, that's definitely one very happy dog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was definitely a happy dog - with it being so warm, that last few days have been rather boring for an all action dog, so to be able to run in the mud and play on the beach was just the release she needed!

      Delete
  4. You have both mellowed, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated birthday wishes to C. Did we meet her back in 2019? Moss sure looks happy & sounds as though you all enjoyed the day. Funny how some people change for better or worse over the years, but then I suppose a lot happens in our lives and this can be the result. Thanks for sharing the lovely snaps, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, possibly you did meet her :) Lots does happen and things/people do change xx

      Delete
  6. Moss looks so happy in your photos. What a doggy delightful day....apart from that hosepipe! And thank goodness the weather is now cooler, think I was sulking a bit too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a doggy delightful day (bar that pesky hosepipe!) it is definitely cooler, wish it would rain though - my garden is as parched as a camel's throat! hahah

      Delete
  7. Hiya Kate, the garden owner sounds awesome with her all pink attire, fabulous tea and biscuits. It is funny how we can grow apart, around and towards people over the years. A muddy moss always makes me smile, especially when he goes back for a second round, after a good hose down ;0 A lovely 21st birthday by the looks of it : )x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! The joy of a dog (or child) getting covered in silty mud should never be underrated. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me that when we were walking on the silt-beach we saw what we thought was a labrador rolling and flapping in the mud, until 'it' stood up and it was a child! You should have hear the mother shriek when she saw the state of the boy (?I think) when he gleefully ran back to his picnicking family!!

      Delete
  9. Ummm...could just walk along the shore all afternoon today...though alas not...shift starts at 3! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.