Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

07/02/2022

The wild winds coldly blow* πŸ’¨☔🌧❄

 After what felt like the longest week in the world I finally reached Saturday and dragged myself through it - in the end I had to admit defeat and left work by lunch time. Yea gods I was tired! The rest of the weekend was mostly happening behind my eyelids, finally by Sunday afternoon I felt 'human' enough to be persuaded to go for a walk by Himself and Moss. The weather, to be honest, had been quite cantankerous and alternatively threw down hail or rain, sleet and in some cases snow but by the afternoon there were promising flashes of sky and moments of delicious sunlight.

So we wrapped up well, jumped in the van (I made sure we had tea and milk and a box of shortbread biscuits on the off chance we might need them .... well you never know!) Himself had decided on a short canal based walk in a small town a few miles away however after about ten minutes of driving the weather turned foul again so with hail hammering down on the windscreen and the heating on full, we drove on towards the Dales to places we know are susceptible to flooding to see how they were coping. 
As we crested the hill we could see the flooded wet meadows and to our left more heavy sky seemed to be bowling in rapidly. The wind picked up speed and the van was buffeted about as we dropped down into the valley.
Roads, rivers and fields became one watery entity as the hail hammered down with a loud metallic clatter above our heads.
We have seen it worse and so far it seemed it was just the fields under water, however some houses were close to the lapping flood.
Sheep were happily on higher ground sheltering against stone walls as they stoically chewed the cud. We'd driven this way last weekend and a couple of fields were dotted with ewes and new lambs - today they were all away hidden in warm barns.
Then just as suddenly as the showers appeared, the sky was blue and the sun shone weakly- we were not deceived by this apparent change of heart as we could see the trees still whipping back and forth and the distant clouds racing in.

By the time we'd reached the small village of Linton, we parked near the falls, there finally seemed to be a decent break in the weather so we chanced a short walk. Down to the Linton Falls themselves - which were turbulent and noisy, over the bridge which rumbles somewhat disconcertingly when it is this full!
Along the river going upstream puddle hopping and hoping not to slip on the muddy path.  We soon reached the lower part of Grassington, crossed the bridge and began the return walk on the other side of the river - we could see the next barrage of clouds coming up and we did not want to get caught.
We only just got back to the van in time - as we were stepping out of our boots and waterproofs - the hail began. It howled and lashed it down with about 20 minutes of vile weather. I am so glad we were not caught out in that! Remember that milk, tea and shortbread biscuits I mentioned earlier? Well they made an appearance and they were most welcome!
Despite the unforgiving weather - the frisky fresh air certainly blew away any cobwebs and the short blustery walk was like a boost to the system. However, I was very glad to be safe and warm and hugging a mug of tea back at the van as we watched and listened to the storm around us.



*Spellbound - Emily BrontΓ«

The night is darkening round me,
The wild winds coldly blow;
But a tyrant spell has bound me
And I cannot, cannot go.
The giant trees are bending
Their bare boughs weighed with snow.
And the storm is fast descending,
And yet I cannot go.
Clouds beyond clouds above me,
Wastes beyond wastes below;
But nothing drear can move me;
I will not, cannot go.

17 comments:

  1. It was a truly wild and windy day here yesterday too...I was not brave enough to venture out at all so you did really well with your walk. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had got to the point of having to go out or get cabin fever and fortunately despite the weather we got away with it and felt all the better for it πŸ’¨πŸ’š☔

      Delete
  2. How apt are the words of that poem?
    Kudos to you for braving the weather and getting out. Moss looks very snug in her blanket. xxx
    PS Check out this free website for lots of collages, I love playing around with it! https://www.photocollage.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      and thank you for the link for the photocollage - off to play right now!!

      Delete
  3. What wild pictures. I hope you feel better for your trip out. That poem is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did thank you - but then probably all the additional sleep helped too!! haha

      Delete
  4. The poem goes so well with your post. Love Moss in her blanket. :)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as we return to the van, Moss gets a biscuit or two or her tea (depending on time of day) then she is wrapped up to keep/get warm or dry - she loves it :)

      Delete
  5. We finally had a sunny day today after about a week and a half of dark and dreary days. Your photos are beautiful! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi - when the sun shines it really feels good after the dreary stuff!

      Delete
  6. Great post as I recognise several of the places in the photos. Love the action shots! I've never been to Linton Falls so I'll mention this to Beloved. Moss has the right idea, all cosy in her blanket. You had tea and biscuits but what about a biscuit for Moss? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would! we parked at the junior school carpark - free to use during the weekend or school holidays, it is not that far to the bridge and the views are lovely :) there are also two Archimedes screw turbines a little further upstream.

      Delete
  7. The weather over there certainly looks wild, I guess my recent walk round Manchester was tame compared to this. I'm glad the sheep were on higher ground, and Moss looks so cute wrapped up like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather wild - but that is the (?)beauty of living near the moors - you get an awful lot of weather thrown at you 🀣🀣☔πŸ’¨

      Delete
  8. I'm a bit late on this one & hope your tiredness is not hampering you now. I recognised many of those places in the photos. Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs. Oh, & Moss looks perplexed with the weather too, but cosy & dry in her towel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wild and windy drive and walk. Must have blown away all the cobwebs. Moss looks cozy in her blanket. I am always amazed that the archway over the road by the Abbey is still standing and nobody has crashed into it. It looks so narrow. πŸ§‘πŸ¦΄πŸ˜ƒxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fitting poem to a wet and wild adventure. Oh, Moss's face wrapped in that blanket ... xXx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.