Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

28/02/2022

Sounds, sights and scents of Saturday

The rustle of heavy paws across the duvet accompanying a rapid tractor-strength purr. The quiet background chatter of the radio presenter cheerfully announcing the next generic track by another cloned singer desperate to be heard.
The murmurings of low conversation, an occasional scrape of a wooden chair against the floor, the clink of teaspoons stirring, slurping of hot chocolate followed by sounds of satisfaction. The heady scent of coffee and chocolate filling the air. Then the busy street filled noises of a rural market town as we return to the car.
The splash of a river bound dog hurling herself into the chilly water, the clink of selecting pebbles to skim. The audible gasp of minor triumph as we lark along the edge. The chinkle of pottery, glass and metal in my coat pocket as I walk. Not all worth keeping, litter will be dropped off in a bin.

A piercing whistle as we are observed by a robin - just an arm's reach away. Eldest's cellphone making electronic sounds as he takes the bird's photograph.

A sharp fragrance of fresh air, a tinge of bitter green and leaf mould circulating as we walk along the narrow path between a wild tanglement of hedge and old bulging stone wall.
Flashes of hope for spring with the tiniest leaf buds appearing on the hawthorn.


The crunch-thud of boots alongside the mill pond known as Sagar's Lake, coots craaking, mallards peeping and quacking. 


The sight of the woodburner crackling away warming us after our walk as we nurse mugs of tea and eat shortbread pigs.

The turn of a page of a recently charity shopped book, the distinctive scent of second hand novels. A strange and intriguing little story - odd yet enjoyable.

A whistling snore from an afternoon-nap-taking cat - who on gentle stroking - grunts a dozy meow followed by a brief attempted purr. 
Twitching paws and eyelid movements confirm a dreaming dog as she sleeps in front of the woodburner. Her tongue has escaped and occasionally curls and flaps as it dries to a crisp as she sleeps.

Saturday - you were wonderful xxx


PS and now (Monday)? well the constant metallic pitter of rain on the window, the wittering on the radio in the background, the sigh of a bored dog, the clack of the keys on my laptop and the curl of the fresh scent of tea.

πŸ’™πŸΎ☔☕☔πŸΎπŸ’™

24 comments:

  1. Lovely post about an intriguing day. Thanks for sharing some lovely photos and descriptive words. Have a great week, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What some would call the mundane things of daily life your artful description of each has elevated them all to pure delightful moments. Absolutely love the Robin photo! Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both so enjoyed your post - and delicious shortbread pigs. Lovely seeing the family yesterday.🦴🧑 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 😊 thank you for the marmalade too🍊

      Delete
  4. I loved the book you are reading, and those shortbread pigs look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a page turner and I can hear her voice as I read and see her wry faces she pulls !

      Delete
  5. Real audio visual!
    Good descriptions that bring it to life in your minds eye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is what I was attempting to do😁❤

      Delete
  6. I didn't know that Sandi Toksvig had written a book. I'm a great admirer of her, so shall read it if it crosses my path. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has written quite a few (over 20 I think) with a fair few for children - I am nearly through this one and think I might look for more - having never read anything of hers I have to say - it is different - but rather enjoyable - definitely recommend 😊

      Delete
  7. Beautiful words and pics. My favourite was the robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you 😊 the robin seems to be universally popular! I shall tell my son as it is the only one I didn't take and asked if I could use his photo.

      Delete
  8. A lovely read Kate. Non workday sounds and feelings are so different from workday ones πŸ˜ƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are most definitely different! More companionable I think.

      Delete
  9. so descriptive, felt like I was right there walking with you. Had to laugh about eating the pig cookies, lol. Who knew there were cookie cutters that looked like pigs! Great picture up close and personal of the Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy :) I have many other animal cutters - giraffe, elephant, sheep and bears - for when the boys were younger and it was fun to do baking with silly biscuit cutters with them :)

      Delete
  10. I recognise the crazy paving on that walk. Been a couple of years since I last walked there. I too liked the robin picture and the shortbread pigs but I also liked the piece of pottery you found. Even a mundane day is magical if one looks for the magic. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most definitely will recognise that pathway - although it is slipping sideways down the hillside (seems to do so after every winter!) There is magic everywhere, the trick is to see itπŸ’›πŸ’™

      Delete
  11. The cheery red cup and saucers, looks like you were at The Chocolate Works? Sounds like a lovely day. I love snoozy cats and dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at the Skipton branch - fairly new. Most enjoyable but we were on a chocolate high for the rest of the day!

      Delete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.