Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

28/01/2023

Knitting 'knitwit'

It has been a little while since I have successfully wielded knitting pins. I was on a roll with Himself's green moss pullover and as I cast off and wove in all ends it was with a flourish! I had a plan and could not wait to cast on my next wip.
For Christmas I'd asked for wool so I would have a lovely pile of woolly goodness to knit myself a cardigan. I had spent some time trawling the 'net researching 'the one' and felt a little giddy when I selected a pattern which seemed just right.

So almost before the knitting pins had cooled - I was up and casting on my new project...... Which was ripped back after a couple of days knitting .... this pattern didn't feel quite right after all.... so I started researching again, looking for several evenings until I found 'the one' - yes this time - this time it was the one for me....
Until, a couple of evenings later I ripped back again. Once I'd started I realised that it was beyond my simple level of knitting so I wound the ball back up and replaced it in the basket with it's companions and went back for another look for a pattern. I now knew that 'top down' cardigans were not for me, I had to look more carefully. And then - I found it ... Yes, this was definitely 'the one' cue a happy dance!!

Except it wasn't, once again I ripped back and this time, I walked away. I thought I was going to be cool with starting again, but no - I was rather annoyed. And just to show my knitting THAT I DID NOT CARE! I started something else ..... and cast on and finished in record time a simple scarf which I started wearing almost immediately as the temperatures dropped for a few days.

After a couple of weeks I tentatively picked up the wool, cast on a pattern and .... yes you guessed it, I frogged after a day or two. This was getting ridiculous. So. another break, more researching and checking out patterns when I found ..... no - I am not going to yell 'this is the one', coz there is still time for it to be frogged, however.... this piece of knitting has survived so far and has grown in size past all the others and is making for gentle knitting and a happy heart.

The knitting good vibes just may have returned and I am taking odds on finishing this particular wip - watch this space💙💜🤍💜💙

*My only comment is - the colours in the images are not true - the shades are more muted and thunder sky than the bright blue it appears here.

14 comments:

  1. One of Those projects!!! Hope it carries on well this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely 'One of Those' projects indeed!

      Delete
  2. Brave you, frogging back so many times. Hope this one gets to be the one. Do I espy a cable (or two or more) in the pattern? Brings back memories of when I used to knit (including cables and Fairisle) and I find it hard to believe I did such work. Carry on the good work! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that this version just might survive to being a finished item! No - no cables, been there done them and melted my brain! I have attempted Fairisle in a hat for myself which I rather loved, but do feel a little intimidated scaling up to a jumper size!

      Delete
  3. I think that's the positive about knitting...that you can undo it all again and restart. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ! I think that often when I sew - If I mess up with fabric once it is cut - there is no going back! Where as frogged wool can be used again (and in my case again again again!)

      Delete
  4. Oh dear Kate! Is it being done in one piece? I usually only do mine in pieces then sew them up & do the neckband etc. Clever you if it is all in one. Love doing cables too and have one ready to finish for this coming winter. Just sew it up and do the neckband. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - I am doing it in panels (on the back at the moment) - not that brave haha!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets rather frustrated with choosing just the right knitting pattern! These days I'm much more likely to finish a crochet blanket than a jumper - although I love the idea of making something to wear. The yarn is a beautiful colour by the way.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison - so glad I am not alone in this hahah! I usually do blankets too, I usually only knit jumpers for my husband, so this is treat for me!

      Delete
  6. And I was just about to say what a gorgeous bright blue colour it is, though I'm sure it's lovely even if it's not quite as bright as that. Well done for starting over again and again - I've never really been able to knit properly anyway so it would be completely abandoned after the first attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was about to comment about how much I love that shade of blue but whatever it's true colour I'm pretty sure it's going to be gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wool is forgiving and reincarnates itself into other forms. I remember hearing a story about someone's old mam that would trawl the jumble sales, pick out hideous jumpers, wash them, pull the wool apart, re-wrap it, knit & turn them into gorgeous garments! Seems like a lot of hard work to me. Having done as much as a scarf in the past, it can be strangely therapeutic, but I wouldn't know where to start with a pattern :0 Well done for persevering and enjoy the muted blue balls :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WintersEndRambler31 January 2023 at 20:02

    I feel your pain...happens loads in this house I'm afraid. And the older I get the worse I'm getting!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.