Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

15/01/2023

Sunday Sunday - so good to me

After days and days (and days) of rain or chilly winds, today is clear and still and although still cold, in the sun it feels warm!

We leave the cosiness of the house and woodburner and set off for a Moss-led dog loop. It seems that other dogs and their owners had felt the same pull - to be out and getting some air! We walk up 'Dead Duck Lane' - not in our usual yomping style as we try to forge our way through the weather, no it is far more meandering. We stop to see if any of the local sheep had lambed and although they must almost be at bursting point, the ewes determinedly chew winter weary grass in the soft sunshine.

We carry on up on to another lane, around another sheep field, past a large house with a small and rotund elderly jack russell. A raspy yip yip was all it can manage then it sighs at our lack of respect and toddles back to the house. In it's 'hey-day' it was a nasty piece of work with reputation of 'quick to bark-quick to bite' which unfortunately landed it's owner is 'the dwang' when they requested a home visit by a doctor who on arrival discovered that not only was the owner not at home, but was then both barked at and bitten by the jack russell. Suffice to say - the doctor wisely got back in the car, drove back to the surgery and rang the owner and had a word or two.....
We continue to follow Moss up a narrow farm track with large and mature trees full of holes and splits and hollow trunks. They are fragile and venerable and beautiful. Sadly I can see that once they start to fall, they will not be replaced. I stroke their grizzled old bark as I pass. I am sure I can hear them whisper their stories to the wind.
 Despite the quantity of rain we have had, the fields although wet are surprisingly mud free. Moss makes the most of the seasonal ponds and drags Himself through the centre. 
This field is also full of expectant ewes, so Moss remains on her lead and because she can not gallop up to the next puddle we can watch a small and garrulous flock of gulls bathing in the fresh water or 'puddling' for worms as they trot on the spot until they can catch a witless worm.
The fresh air, which when we first set off felt icy and sharp, now feels invigorating and restorative and the soft sunlight gently bathes a wintery landscape in an almost translucent peachy glow. Popping up here and there are bright green blades of various bulbs - a bit too soon, their enthusiasm will wane next week when the temperatures are forecast to plummet. Here is to the ewes who will hopefully be indoors soon when they are due to lamb.
So, another weekend has slipped by. We have had Youngest and his lovely girl staying with us for a couple of days - now, Sunday evening, the house once again cosy and warm with the fire keeping Moss in a state of molten fluff as she basks in it's glow. Monday tomorrow, and at this very moment I am not ready for it - but I know by the time I get up, into my work kit and in the car - I will be ready for a day of mulching well rotted manure.... bring it on! 



10 comments:

  1. I love your description of the walk, I felt like I was there with you, and I like the idea of the trees whispering their stories to the wind - they probably have many tales to tell :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eunice - the trees are old, they probably have hundreds of stories - wish I could listen in on them too 😊

      Delete
  2. We had our first walk for over 10 days yesterday. I'm surprised some of those old trees are still standing as some look vulnerable. We never loiter under them! I've seen seagulls puddling for worms and it is amusing to watch. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for getting out - the weather not been conducive to playing out. I do love those trees but feel they are coming to their end ☹️

      Delete
  3. Oh what a lovely romp you did romp! I can well imagine Moss...smoking hot in front of the fire, but staying put! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moss loves her walks but then the post walk melt in front of the fire is a fast second!

      Delete
  4. A beautiful day for a walk, and it is about time. It must have felt good to blow away the cobwebs after the endless days of rain. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - the dreary grey stuff was getting a little monotonous - those cobwebs certainly blew away!

      Delete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.