Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

18/12/2022

Holly & Happy

 Thank you.

I have been greatly touched by your comments about my tentative return - I was not only surprised by it's sudden return to me but also by the fact I hadn't realised how much I had missed the interaction with you lovely folk whilst posting my version of normality๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ

Sunday - today, is miserable. The weather has gone from that crisp Baltic blue sky winter to a driech mushy grey wet disappointment. 

So, Himself and I busied ourselves inside, trying to keep warm whilst tackling a few jobs which have been on our list of 'things to do' (some of them for quite a while).  I will share one of our tasks once the family have seen - don't want to spoil the surprise!

I can share with you (and heartily recommend) my latest baking - Mincemeat Shortbread from Jules of Along the Way. I have made them before, a couple of years ago but had forgotten how absolutely delicious they were.  I can see another batch needing making fairly quickly๐Ÿ˜Š

The tree is up - over the years, I have not felt the need to plaster the house in festive decorations, paring it down each time until I feel gently satisfied with the result. This year is the most minimal (the most Scandinavian) I've ever gone and it feels right. 

Time to put the kettle on, Youngest and his lovely girl will be here shortly and I think those mincemeat shortbread will not eat themselves ๐Ÿ˜†

Before I go - are your decorations up? have you gone for all the glitz and pizazz you can to brighten up the season or simple and minimal?
And do try Jules' recipe and if you do - drop her (and me!) a note if you can and report back - coz they are definitely nom nom nom!

Wow - a second post, I think I might be on a roll.....



23 comments:

  1. Love your blog. What a fun walk. We used to be on a country lane but the country surrounded us now it seems our road is a freeway. Moss is a fun dog. I have a dog name Tug. He keeps me busy. Hope you keep blogging I would love to see and hear more about you and your.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ๐Ÿ˜ŠOur village was quieter years ago, but the main road through has also got busier, I suppose it is inevitable, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. Another post! Prod me a little too, please........I also miss that camaraderie, but quite a few of my blogpals don't blog anymore. Minimal decorations here too, since the kids and grandkids have all grown up. Wreath on door, little sleigh on table & that's about it. Maybe I'll think about my gum twig tree with a few decorations. Remember the year you we made them along with you & posted about them. That was fun. Your mincemeat shortbread looks yummy & is the filling a jar of Robertsons. We can't source it here in Oz anymore & I use it for Dream Bars that I make over the festive season. Take care & big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PROD!
      The mincemeat is actually an Aldi special (so probably just as good and a whole lot less expensive!) A friend of mine always buys the cheaper mix (usually a supermarket own brand) and in her own words 'juzzes it up with alcohol and chopped orange peel' tastes brilliant.

      Delete
  3. I like those decorations..just enough, just right.
    Youngest's wife does go rather overboard on theirs...but they enjoy it, and it's a bit of a village/family competition!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see how many houses are completely drenched in lights this year - far more than the last few years. Himself wonders if it is being used as escapism from the dreariness and misery that the uk seems to be 'enjoying' at the moment

      Delete
    2. I think himself is right..they live in the South Wales Valleys....and they are having it hard there

      Delete
  4. Much as I like over the top dressing, in the case of Xmas, less is definitely more. Your rustic decoration is perfect.
    It has been a gloomy day, not long now till the nights start getting shorter. Hope you all had a wonderful evening. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Vix, I definitely missing the daylight - here is to the nights getting shorter (only a day or two before the season turns)๐ŸŒž

      Delete
  5. We don't go overboard with decorations, the tree is the main thing. We'd have more if it was up to Mick but we never get them up early, this year was an exception, the tree went up at the beginning of December, and it's all just got to come down again. I don't like decorations hanging around until twelfth night, once Christmas is over I'm ready for my house to return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - the more you put up, the more has to be put away again! Our decorations are usually down on new year's day - seems pointless having them up in January

      Delete
  6. We're definitely minimalist this year for decor. Our tree has lights and a topper but nothing else. I've done very little treat making, but by and by this week, things will come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely and simple - enough to be part of the festive season without it being excessive - have a good Christmas :)

      Delete
  7. So, so happy to see this second post. I'm glad you are returning to us. My decorations usually stay in the living room and I've noticed over the past few years I'm not doing as much. I do a small tree and put out my snowmen. Then I hang the Advent calendar my daughter made for me and I'm done. :). And that's it for me. I love your minimalist decorations. Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your tree. Something a little different and full of winter light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - I find it less dominating in the room, takes less space and feels lighter (for both me and the room!)

      Delete
  9. The mincemeat shortbread is inspired! The littlest one & I made shortbread yesterday. It has all been eaten already ;) Your decorations look beautiful. I love a bit of stripped back scandi xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you did - it is super easy and super yum - and unfortunately super easy to eat too!! Stripped back Scandi - something I strive for in my bohemian mind!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you are back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might be late to catch up, but it is lovely to see you posting again. I'm so glad you enjoyed the shortbread. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.