Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

27/12/2022

Twixmas - a bit of this, a bit of that

After a few family filled days, at this moment, it is just myself and a mug of tea. The house is remarkably still and restful with just the hint sound trailing from the radio as it cheerfully plays hits from 2008. The overly youthful DJ announcing that she was only seven when these 'oldie-but goldie' tunes came out - what on earth is she talking about?? - it was only 'yesterday'! Gah - what does she know! 

What I do know is that this year gifts were definitely more thoughtful, more considerate.Something else I know, we quaffed countless mugs of tea - teas of all flavours with many differing varieties of milk. Keeps me on my toes - making sure everyone has the correct combination.


I find at this time of year - the kitchen becomes the engine room of the house, churning out not only meals for hungry tums, but festive treats and bakes too. I've tried a couple of new to me recipes (inspired by the unreachable perfection of instagram) but will need to practice/improve/give up/admit defeat 😆😆. 

The weather has been rather predictably rubbish - that pristine but brittle cold blue sky slid into a driech grey wet blanket with on off miserable rain. It does make hunkering down by the fire rather enticing while dog walks are more a feat of endurance that a pleasure. We have had a couple of gently splendid soft grey and peach sunsets sprinkled liberally with hail - they were bracingly joyful made all that much better by returning home and putting the kettle on with mincepies and ginger biscuits calling out to be eaten.

We will have a couple of days to ourselves, Himself and I, while the boys spend time with their extended families and although a walk or two has been discussed - the weather, once again - will feature somewhat!

There is something about this time of year - it makes me restless - I feel the need for an adventure, not quite on the level that Bilbo Baggins undertook however - I can feel that need rising.  

Do you get that stirring of restlessness or (if you are in the northern hemisphere) happy to hibernate?


 And one last image - a fuzzy-zoomy photo of Moss as we performed a double quick march to get home before the hail shower pinged our respective noses even more!




 



23 comments:

  1. Oh gosh do I ever relate to the restlessness and longing to travel. It'll hit hard by the third weekend of January. We have a warming front do eager to get out for a long walk after just short ones. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to long walks but am grateful for our shorter ones we do from home while the weather is being capricious. Happy new year from our home to yours 😊

      Delete
  2. Your walk photos are magical! There's been some beautiful skies over the last few days.
    Like you, I've got itchy feet. I've had a lovely few days seeing friends, watching Tv and crocheting but the great outdoors is calling. Thursday's looking like the driest day for an adventure. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I sometimes forget how lucky we are where we live. It does not take long before we have these long range views. I am hoping to get out for an adventure on Thursday too 😊

      Delete
  3. I am a winter hibernation gal, my feet get itchy later in the winter when the weather starts to warm and that green haze still feels a while away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find after a bit of hibernation I get cabin fever - I suspect this is the root of my restlessness - that and at this time of year it feels like spring (ergo summer) is a long way off

      Delete
  4. Staying in by a warm fire is a great idea at this time of year, especially when the weather isn't too good. After a frosty early start it's been raining all day here, definitely not dog walking weather - they hate the rain as much as I do! My itchy feet will start when the evenings begin to get lighter a bit earlier, I'm looking forward to some good canal walks and maybe another overnight at Glasson during the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed getting out (combo of weather and festive shenanigans) I am really looking forward to vanning, walking and lighter and longer days!

      Delete
  5. I call December, January and February my "hunker down" months. I'm not inclined to go outside unless the sun is shining and there is no ice on the ground. (I slipped and fell hitting my head a few years ago and now I have a fear of falling!) I do go out on the porch every few days to fill the bird feeders and consider that my fresh air activity :-) Weather here has been bitter cold so the poor birds and little animals need to be fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh do be careful Debi - icy surfaces are no laughing matter - stay safe in your rather harsh winter this year x

      Delete
  6. I get the urge to sort out the house....I shall lie down until the feeling passes. That can wait until we're in the quietness of January! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately that particular urge is weak to non-existent in my life (well at least that is what I keep telling myself....) I find going out on a walk drowns out any house-workery nonsense fairly quickly haha

      Delete
  7. Focussed hibernation here. I am working on the assumption that Nature designed much bigger mammals than us to hibernature during winter, whilst plants slow down and withdraw until the sun returns. Who am I to argue with such wisdom? 😉 There is lots of gentle puttering indoors, semi-planning for brighter days, and recharging of batteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is a rather wise and wonderful thing and we should listen to her more 💚 here is to gentle puttering and planning and recharging of batteries xxx

      Delete
    2. what on earth is hibernature . . .?? 🤣

      Delete
    3. I don't know but sign me up! a bit of hibernature sounds like a good thing indeed💚😊

      Delete
  8. Lovely catchup Kate. I find this time of the year between Christmas & New Year strange, struggling to remember what day it is & just now the weather is behaving weirdly with some severe heat days, then today a cool wind, drizzly rain & so overcast............the vagaries of life. Enjoy your free time, take care & hugs from down under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your weather is behaving oddly, thought ours was being fickle. enjoy your coolness before the heat returns :) x

      Delete
  9. As Hilary Devey would have said - I have an itch in my foot. I am ready to come out of hibernation (possibly because I'm on holiday - I'm sure things will change when I 'm back at work!) . Yes, the weather is wet and wild and I officially have cabin fever! That's a very determined walk by Moss. I suppose he likes walkies but not snowy ones? Happy brave walks to you :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. an itch in my foot - yup - I have that too! Moss will walk in ALL weathers but not that keen on being pinged on the nose with hail (nor was I TBH!) so we were setting a cracking pace towards the small woods alongside the road so we could shelter :)

      Delete
  10. Getting a bit housey. Weather rubbish. Feeling all achey and rotten. Boys both ill. Their Mother ill. Missed a work shift due to it yesterday so felt compelled to volunteer to work a few hours early on New Years Day (will make up my money) not from the goodness of my heart! TV on too much. Sonshine coming home tomorrow so hopefully then things will start to improve. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rubbish weather indeed. Though, being confined to the house does have its advantages; lots of crafting going on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the weather has been shocking! I would be quite happy to hibernate, given the opportunity. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.