Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

15/12/2021

Slipping through the mist

The crunch of my boot seemed unnaturally loud as I walked along the track. It seemed rather intrusive.

Smudged by the mist, the distant wistful song of an unseen bird, it's tune distorted and hollow sounding, seemed to echo around the trees.

Moss trotted on ahead, sniffing and following scents, reading different stories to the ones I could see with my eyes. Her ears pricked and listening to sounds I did not hear.

A faint dripping sound as the trapped mist ran down branches and collected at the tips, wobbling a while then dropping to the leaf litter below. 

Above me I could hear the breeze shush through the upper tree level, it was almost lazy as it swirled through the branches. I could just about feel it's chilly touch on my left check as we walked.

Along the route we were watched over by the guardians of the woods, it was magical finding them as they silently appeared out of the gloom.
A Victorian home, now an outdoor centre - looking forlorn, sulked with curtains half closed and an air of abandonment. I know that the pandemic has pushed it to the brink - it remains to be seen if it can recover....
Storms Arwen and Barra have certainly left their mark with hundreds of trees flattened it their wake.
Trees twisted and torn, still hanging or leaning on telephone wires, some cleared, others still looking shocked and felled.



It was eerie and beautiful in one moment. The dampening from the mist making sounds soft and muffled and the view fading until invisible.
I could hear the lapping of the water in the tarn and knew from years of walking along this route that the tarn, unseen, was a few meters away, the only confirmation being the wooden sculpture and the shadowy shape of the boat house.
The air was chilly and I'd reached the furthest point on our walk, time to turn and return back to the car.
 It was a brief escape - one that would have been longer if there'd been time, however for that magical half hour, Moss and I evaporated into the landscape and walked with memories and plans.



14 comments:

  1. What a lovely atmospheric walk. I bet it's really beautiful in summer - nice now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful there in summer - glorious views - not that you could see them! haha One of my favourite places :)

      Delete
  2. That was a magical and ethereal walk - thank you for taking us along.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, so glad you came along! thanks Ellie :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful atmospheric photos, you've captured the damp December chill beautifully. I've been reading back through your posts and I love your tree by the way - I think I'll go the same way, real tree in a pot to be preserved for next year. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Glad you found 'Treebeard' - he has been 'worth his weight in gold', we originally paid £8 for him over ten years ago - so he has certainly paid himself off nicely! hahah

      Delete
  4. Much as I always long for snow at this time of year, the reality is the damp misty weather, reflected so beautifully in your photographs. The other day, I proclaimed to Lily, 'The mountains have disappeared!' and she responded, 'don't be ridiculous!' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very wary of snow - have a healthy dislike of driving in it however photogenically there is nothing more beautiful that the brilliant white of a snow covered landscape with a eyebright blue sky! And does Lily not 'know' that mountains move? They quietly (well as quietly as mountains can) walk around at night and make sure everything is right and well with the land .... shhh is a secret, they like to pretend they dont!!

      Delete
  5. I can almost hear the trees dripping! What wonderfully evocative photos. The Victorian house is marvellously atmospheric. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I wish now I'd taken more images of the house, I wasn't sure at the time if there was anyone in it and felt a bit 'intrusive' but have since discovered that there is only a cleaner popping up every day or so to check on it.

      Delete
  6. A beautiful walk but the fallen and damaged trees added a degree of sadness, enhanced by the mist. I think I know where you walked but we have never walked there. Perhaps you've done it for me? x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely description of your misty walk, I felt like I was there with you and Moss :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very atmospheric, filmic and lovely. I would expect to have met a wandering minstrel! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.