1. An unexpected egg from an mature hen, who retired herself last year and retrained as a bug and weed inspector - a job she has done exceedingly well.
2. Hand writing a slate for the larger potager and symbolically hanging it on the nervous tree - it can relax for a bit longer, it has two important roles this year - sweetpea support and slate sign holder. It's position will be reassessed at the end of the year.
3. A dilly dog sitting still long enough to be in my picture
4. Being able to make a start on the lay out of the brick edges for the potager beds before it got too wet.
5. Sowing seeds while the hen takes a well earned dust bath beneath my potting tray as the rain hammered on the greenhouse roof
6. Watching as Himself places the 'birthday bench' (a gift from my folks) into pride of place
Then, due to the inclement weather we had to reluctantly declare defeat and retreat to the house where I made leek and potato soup and 'Betty Ferrie's Shetland Oatcakes.
A gentle day, filled with quiet smiles and muddy puddles. But, if it was an indication of what was to come - spring is definitely on her way :)
And you - what made you smile today?
Where you defeated by the rain?
How is your garden growing ?