Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

29/11/2021

Orl-right treacle? *

What a bit of a day it has been! The village has been hammered somewhat - with large parts of it without electricity, most of it without wi fi and all of it without water all day! Fortunately the water is back - turned out several of the old Victorian pipes split with the cold, most but not all of the residents have power or internet back yet.

It has been, however,  a very good day for sewing though - and I have done eeeeeeven smaller stitches! Think I've gone a little cross eyed in the process ๐Ÿ˜

I promised to share the gingerbread recipe after I'd tasted it - no point getting excited about a recipe then on sampling finding it disappointing - however this particular delight was exactly that - a delight! It makes a HUGE cake so next time I make it I will halve the ingredients.

It is from an American site with US weights and measures, so I have converted it - I have added the link for my Stateside readers.


Fresh Ginger and Treacle Cake

  • 114gm fresh ginger peeled and grated
  • 300gm treacle
  • 200gm sugar
  • 225gms (mls) vegetable oil
  • 313gm self raising flower
  • 1tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper
  • 236grams (mls) hot water
  • 2 tsp bicarb (baking soda)
  • 2 eggs
  1. Heat oven to 175 deg c, line a 25 cm cake tin with greaseproof paper - I used a large square pan and cut the cake into 'brownie' sized squares.
  2. Peel and grate the fresh ginger.
  3. Mix treacle, sugar and oil in one bowl
  4. Mix flour, spices in a separate bowl
  5. Stir the bicarb into the boiling water and add to the treacle mix
  6. Add the grated ginger.
  7. Gradually add and whisk the dry ingredients to the treacle mix
  8. When well blended, add the eggs until thoroughly combined.
  9. Pour into the cake tin and bake for about an hour.
The cake is very dark so not easy to check if browning too quickly, so after about cooking for about half an hour, I added a greaseproof cover to protect it.

Leave to cool in the tin for about half an hour - it will still be warm for a long time after. Use a knife or spatula to loosen the edges and take out of the tin to cool further - or in my case feed straight to a waiting husband..........

This is the LINK to the US site with gorgeous photos of the cake - mine are rather less so!

Now, a good 24 hours after it's baking, the cake is still soft and squidgy and just gooey enough to make your fingers worth giving a good lick but not too sticky that you need to rush off and wash your hands. Himself has decided that he'd like to try a goodly portion of the cake swimming in a bucket load of hot custard - hmmmm, might have to humour him๐Ÿ˜


*and the 'Orl-right Treacle? of my title? - well it was a catchphrase from a character from the 1980s - a cockney stall holder in a long running soap opera. One, I hasten to add, I do not watch! However I did, under sufferance, see the first few episodes when I stayed with my Gran who was - in equal measure - was both entranced and annoyed by the plot lines and characters!

This is my penultimate #moreblogvember post - tomorrow is November 30th and I know December can be beyond busy for most folk - so, I may be less prolific with my posting. Thank you for coming along for the ride!

#moreblogvember

#52newrecipes



16 comments:

  1. The cake sounds delicious Kate. I actually gave up eating cake back in January but I would give in to a piece if it was covered in hot custard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying you'd given up cake - Himself would not be able to 'survive' without and to add custard is his absolute best thing! How he manages to stay slim is beyond me !

      Delete
  2. Hope you and yours are OK now, how much we take for granted in our (generally) easy 21st century.

    Water goes off rather too frequently around here so there is always bottled water on hand, and thank goodness for the woodburner. I am guessing you and Moss did your sewing next to yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayne, we are all fine - and of course there was LOTS of fireside sewing (snoring if you were a certain four footed soul).๐Ÿพ
      I was very grateful for full water butts (deep frozen the garden but just about watery enough to dip in a can in the greenhouse) for flushing the loo ! ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  3. Water is the most important.
    That looks good cake. Try keeping a piece...revise that, hide a piece!for a couple of days, you will be surprised how it is even more moreish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly have to hide a piece! However, I suspect I will have to make more for this weekend as I have a wreath workshop at home with friends and family and they have all requested some and Himself is steadily working his way through it!

      Delete
  4. Ever since we've lived in Wales, we've had our own water supply, which is a blessing.

    That cake looks and sounds delish. My OH loves anything with ginger in . . . may have to indulge him! Though he will tell you he "doesn't like cake" (because he deems it fattening - he is of course, very slim).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your water supply survive a dry summer? I remember when we lived at the other end of the village - we had our own water supply shared with about half a dozen houses and it soon turned to a trickle if it were a dry summer. My other half is a slim bean too - despite the cake consumption levels he attains - sigh - I on the other hand put on weight just looking at food!!

      Delete
  5. Peter Beale if I remember correctly … I was an avid watcher for years but have had to try and limit my soap fix to just one … either that or Martin may have moved out ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. I can’t quite believe the numbers of homes still with no power … the holiday cottage we are due to visit very soon currently has no power. I really hope they get sorted so we can still go ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on! In about 2001 or 2, I made a conscience decision not to watch any more soaps as I felt they were on the whole pushing the boundaries of believability and have not watched any since then! Hope the holiday cottage's power is sorted soon for you - fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. How can you do such tiny stitches with such a big needle...... I'm not too keen on very gingery cakes so will perhaps give this recipe a miss. However the transformation of a very liquid mix into a lovely looking cake is magic! Well done you for translating it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you see it like that - it is a bit of a crowbar! but it is not as large as it looks :)

      Delete
  7. Hope all is basically well after your wild storms & the village is settling back into life. Beautiful stitching & can't wait to see the finished item. I've enjoyed your many chatty posts while we've been in our hard lockdowns & hope we see at least a few from you in the coming months. I'll jot down the cake recipe too. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came out relatively unscathed just a bit inconvenienced but others did bear the brunt of it. It's done now and we are sinking into winter and back to mandatory masks (although a fair few folk still wont wear them ... )

      Delete
  8. That cake looks delicious. As I will be lucky enough to be at the wreath making I might just try a little square. Glad water and electricity back on in the village. ๐Ÿฆด๐Ÿงก xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS Love the weaving. Colours are lovely too. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.