Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

22/10/2021

Blogtober day 22 - summat's fishy

For my Northern readers of my blog, you will know what 'summat' means, for those who don't summat literally translates to 'something'. I have noticed over the years that my accent has slid more and more 'southern' with a slight (bordering on New Zealandish) twang despite me being born in Africa and living in the north of a soggy island.


It is only when I listen to recordings of my voice I can hear my own accent - which I don't normally notice day to day - it is then I realise how I sound.
There are some accents I can mimic with a modicum of success however the minute I attempt a Northern accent - it comes out wrong... so very wrong (and not necessarily in a humorous way - more in a 'what on earth is she saying' sort of way!)
So now when I use a northern term I go to great pains to say it either in a  'VERRRRY' northerly way or excessively southernly fashion - almost to accentuate the fact it is not a word that naturally comes from me.
An example of this is the northern delicacy - the chip butty. Which again for those who don't know - it is a large white bread roll or bun with slightly rancid butter slapped on it and filled with greasy chips. This delicacy is usually raised to culinary delights by adding salt and vinegar. Don't get me wrong - I am not dissing this particular 'dish' for it is absolutely delicious and I for one am salivating at the thought of it.... I am using it as an example of how Himself and I differ in describing it.
In my terms a chip butty is as I described it above, a bread roll, butter and chips. Himself (and thousands and thousands of other northerners) would say it is pronounced - a chip buh-tey or boeteh, which is a white bap with chips. If - should you wish - want to have a bright green (some would say an artificially green) side of 'mushy peas' you would need to ask for 'moosh-ay peas'.

This little dish of bright green goop is made up of marrow fat peas cooked to a sloppy pulp and kept green by adding bicarb (or food colouring....) and is in my opinion as disgusting as it sounds!


The fish photographs were going to be the theme of todays waffle but I was carried away by the idea of chips - hey ho - welcome to my world of random tangent and often incomprehensible thoughts.

#Blogtober2021

11 comments:

  1. I love your fish photos … they are brilliant, I also love a chip butty. I remember when we were very far down south … Dungeoness … and asked for a chip butty and they wouldn’t serve us on … we had to buy a bread roll and a plate of chips … those crazy southerners πŸ™ˆ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree haha - I had a ploughmans at a pub in East Sussex and I was served the least rustic meal ever, four triangles of white bread, couple of slender slices of cheddar, couple of crackers and olives, bit of a garnish sized salad and a piece of fruit cake! What I was hoping to each was hunks of brown bread and cheese, pickles and fruitπŸ˜„

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a brilliant wooden fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not thought of that I am going to look out for weather vanes. Actually it is something I haven't seen much of here! Great photos! I grew up on "chip butties! Now that sounds rather awful, I of course had other nourishing meals as well especially lots of veg )-: My Mum was very adamant about the veg especially "little Ginnies" (Brussel Sprouts). However a weekend special was Dad bringing home a large portion of chips and Mum would make up chip butties for all seven of us. That would be Mum & Dad and us seven girls! Delicious...gourmets eat your heart out! Thorough enjoyed this post :-). Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love weather vanes - not always the easiest to photograph but since my last camera I have been able to zoooooooooom up close and personal!

      Delete
  5. I was brought up in Essex but chip butties very popular when I was a child but only at home. My dad's from Glasgow so lots of strange words in my vocabulary. I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean :) yes it is interesting how family vocabulary is influenced by words introduced from parents but equally I find I still use words the boys mangled as children - I suspect they will stay with me forever 😊

      Delete
  6. The fish weather vanes are great. I've never had a chip butty....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Kate, TTML = you need to make yourself a chip butty! Even I as a non-northerner love them. And talking of childish mangled words I still say 'listick' and 'glubs' so these words do stick around a very long time!!. Love the fish weathervane. Brilliant idea. 🧑 xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.